Sunday, October 2, 2011

Recent Projects

Today was conference and I absolutely loved it.  I didn't get out of my pajamas all day and absolutely no make-up touched my face.  Heaven.  I got multiple projects done while listening.  Some were a huge success and one was a complete failure.

First, I made some tomato basil soup.. it was divine!  I will have to post the recipe because it is a keeper.  Lots of fresh veggies and lots of cutting, but worth it in the end.

Second, I have been needing a new make-up bag for awhile. My foundation exploded in my last bag, and since then I have been using the bags that they put your clothes in when you buy something at Urban Outfitters.  PATHETIC.  I can't believe I didn't think of doing this sooner.

This is the front, it was striped fabric so I just angled it and sewed a seam down the middle.

Since it was Sunday I had to use the resources I had around the house.  I repurposed the red zipper from my previous make-up bag.  I love how it turned out!   The pop of red is a fun detail.

This is the back, pretty boring.  This is outdoor fabric so it is stain resistant and semi-waterproof. Also, it's washable. 

I lined the inside with some plain white linen type fabric,  I would have preferred a navy blue to match the stripes and to show less dirt, but this will do.

Finished!  This project was great because I have needed a new bag forever but didn't want to spend any money.  This was FREE and took me only about 30 minutes.

FAILED PROJECT

I have to post about this because, let's face it, everyone has those projects they mess up.  Taylor is having a hard time finding a tailored style white Sunday shirt.  I thought I could quickly adjust one of the one's he had and avoid a tailoring fee.  Well I was wrong.  I accidentally miscalculated the amount I was taking off on the sides and Taylor ended up with an extremely tight fitting shirt! ARGh.  Good thing this was his least favorite shirt.  I will try again on one he likes more, and now that I know where I went wrong, it should be a piece of cake.


Taylor thought it was so funny how much I messed up.  He was dancing around in the shirt doing all those funny things that Taylor does best. I am glad we were able to laugh about this!

My last project turned out well.  I found this skirt at anthropology for a really good price but it was a few sizes too big.  I took in the sides and adjusted the pockets and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.  You may notice I am wearing Taylor's messed up shirt, I am thinking I can re-purpose it to work for me.  
I found this link on pinterest and I think I will give it a shot.  What do I have to lose?!

All-in-all I feel super accomplished today, three sewing projects and a new soup recipe done!  I have to savor days like this because they are far and few.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! What an awesome day! The skirt turned out awesome and I LOVE the make up bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shala! I loved seeing your family this weekend. I think I will make a make-up bag for you and mom, and kristen if she wants one! Do you have a make-up bag already?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love a make up bag! : ] The skirt is fun and I can't wait to see how the white shirt turns out. . .it even looked cute with the long sleeves. . .you make things look great!!
    Fun picture of Taylor in the too-tightness. You guys are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously you are so talented!! I am a little jealous... you can add me in on the makeup bag list :)

    ReplyDelete