Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Trailing Clouds Of Glory"


Conference was amazing, it always is.  I was particularly touched by President Monson's talk called "The Race of Life."  The Thursday after conference we received a quick text stating that if we wanted to say goodbye to Taylor's grandma, we had better go to Brigham that night.  We rushed down after work and had a touching evening with Randy and Netta (my in-laws) and some of Taylor's aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings.  A blessing was given to Taylor's grandma and to any of her children that were in need.  It was such a touching experience that I will never forget.  The shining moment for me was when Taylor gave his father a blessing of comfort; I cried my eyes out, and for the second time in our marriage I saw Taylor cry.  It is moments like these that I am truly grateful for the beliefs that I have and the wonderful family that I have been blessed with. 
Taylor's grandmas was taken back up to our Heavenly Father on Easter morning. 


President Monson shared this amazing poem in his talk by William Wordsworth.


"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The soul that rises with us, our life’s Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!6"

President Monson went on to say the following:
'... Although we come into mortality “trailing clouds of glory,” life moves relentlessly forward. Youth follows childhood, and maturity comes ever so imperceptibly. From experience we learn the need to reach heavenward for assistance as we make our way along life’s pathway...

... At some period in our mortal mission, there appears the faltering step, the wan smile, the pain of sickness—even the fading of summer, the approach of autumn, the chill of winter, and the experience we call death... 




..But what of an existence beyond death? Is death the end of all? Robert Blatchford, in his book God and My Neighbor, attacked with vigor accepted Christian beliefs such as God, Christ, prayer, and particularly immortality. He boldly asserted that death was the end of our existence and that no one could prove otherwise. Then a surprising thing happened. His wall of skepticism suddenly crumbled to dust. He was left exposed and undefended. Slowly he began to feel his way back to the faith he had ridiculed and abandoned. What had caused this profound change in his outlook? His wife died. With a broken heart he went into the room where lay all that was mortal of her. He looked again at the face he loved so well. Coming out, he said to a friend: “It is she, and yet it is not she. Everything is changed. Something that was there before is taken away. She is not the same. What can be gone if it be not the soul?”
Later he wrote, “Death is not what some people imagine. It is only like going into another room. In that other room we shall find … the dear women and men and the sweet children we have loved and lost.”12"
Sorry this post is so heavy! I have definitely had my outlook on life realigned the past few days - sometimes I get so caught up in all these little things that really don't matter.  I am so fortunate to still have all four of my grandparents!  I love them all so very much and hope they know how grateful I am for their examples and their love. I love you Grandma and Grandpa Robertson and Grandma and Grandpa Stewart! 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this, Shauna! Thanks for the perspective check. It really does put everything together, doesn't it?! Love love love your posts! And you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss, btw! I hope Taylor and family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a spiritual moment! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful--thank you for these thoughts, Shauna--you're a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete